The Norblad Hotel & Hostel History:
A.C. Miller and J.H. Jeffers, proprietors of the Sunflower Dairy, hired architect John E. Wicks to design this concrete and brick, two-story business block. In November 1923, a ten-year lease on the second floor was signed with Governor George F. Norblad , and in January, the Hotel Norblad opened its doors. The Bank of Commerce moved into their new quarters in the building and opened for February 28, 1924. This building is significant for its connection to architect John E. Wicks and contribution to the historic streetscape through its quality of design and retention of detail. This building is rare in that it has two doorways with terra cotta surrounds. The glass and pressed tin canopy is the finest canopy in the area. The building is also significant for its incorporation of a hotel, a common trend during the historic period.
In the fall of 2007 local developers purchased the "Norblad Hotel" building whose hotel was operating under the name The Hideaway Inn and Hostel. The building quickly received a renovated neon sign, in electric blue, and was renamed the Norblad Hotel & Hostel. A local metal shop worked to restore the original pressed tin awning. The exterior has been completely restored, retail spaces renovated and leased. The 2nd floor hotel has undergone restoration efforts for over a year with new marble showers for the Euro styled rooms, a new community kitchen, and updates in many of the rooms. The hotel remains open and is the oldest hotel still in operation in the oldest settlement west of the Rockies, Astoria Oregon.The Norblad Hotel and Hostel is located in the heart of the downtown Astoria within walking distance to breweries, theaters, local coffee shops, museums, shopping, and the historic Astoria Riverwalk.
We offer a clean, comfortable atmosphere and a variety of furnished rooms as well as hostel dorms.